// Research & Articles
An article published in SolarPro which analyzed wiring losses, finding that standard conventions can be too conservative, particularly for high DC-to-AC ratio designs.
An article published in SolarPro which analyzed shading losses from obstructions, finding that modest array shading can be economically optimal under the right conditions.
Results from an optimization analysis to find the lowest-cost method for DC conductor design. We found that it was possible to reduce DC conductor cost by 27% through optimization.
An article published in SolarPro where the team at Folsom Labs analyzed the mismatch losses from module binning, and found that they were lower than most engineers expect.
A white paper analyzing the yield benefits of string-level MPPT versus central inverter MPPT. String MPPT can provide a 1-1.5% improvement in system energy yield for shaded arrays.
A paper selected for inclusion in the 39th IEEE PV Specialists' Conference, where we analyzed the system energy effects of statistical sources of module mismatch.
// Bankability Documents
The summary report from the Technology Review conducted by DNV GL. Their team (led by Jeff Newmiller) found that HelioScope showed agreement to within 1% of other commonly used models.
A letter from one of the leading financiers of solar supporting the use of HelioScope in projecting a solar plant's energy yield.
// Product Documentation
The HelioScope User Manual provides a complete summary of HelioScope's functionality.
A summary of the benefits of HelioScope, along with the high-level specifications of the software.
An overview of the basic steps to get up & running with HelioScope.
A detailed manual for installing and using the HelioScope SketchUp plugin for modeling shading losses from obstructions near an array.
// Application Notes
Have a unique solar design, such as a new building? Curious about using HelioScope internationally? These application notes provide techniques for making the most of HelioScope in specific applications. They also provide details for structures in HelioScope, such as row spacing metrics or component database design.
- Residential Design 101 in HelioScope
- Commercial Design 101 in HelioScope
- Ground-mount Design 101 in HelioScope
- Component Searching in HelioScope
- Lat-Long Project Coordinates
- Row Spacing in HelioScope
- East-west Racking Assumptions
- Single-Line Diagram Overview
- AC Wiring in HelioScope
- Shade Modeling in HelioScope
- Shade-Based Height Estimates
- Mismatch Calculations in HelioScope
- Typical Loss Factors
- TMY File Primer
- Weather File Upload
- PAN File Upload
- Importing SketchUp Image Overlays into HelioScope
- KMZ File Overlays in HelioScope
- Pictometry KMZ Files in HelioScope
- HelioScope versus PVsyst
- HelioScope versus PV Watts
- Profiles in HelioScope
- Troubleshooting Low Yield in HelioScope
- Factors for Using HelioScope in Global Applications
- Spectral Adjustment in HelioScope